One of the main causes of doors swelling in winter is because of the drastic change in temperature. When it’s cold outside, the air holds less moisture than it does in warmer weather. This causes the wood to absorb moisture from the air, causing it to swell.
Luckily, there are a few things you can do to help prevent this from happening that we will quickly go over in this article.
8 Ways on how to stop doors swelling in Winter
So how do you stop doors swelling in the winter?
We came up with a list of 8 things most DIYers can do themselves to fix this common winter issue.
1. Keep the humidity level low
2. Don’t let cold air drafts hit the door
3. Use a door sweep
4. Caulk any gaps around the door
5. Install weatherstripping
6. Keep the doors clean and waxed
7. Inspect the doors regularly
8. Check for damage and make repairs as needed
How to keep humidity levels low
Most people don’t think about humidity levels in their home, but it can have a big impact on your comfort. High humidity can make you feel sticky and uncomfortable, and it can also lead to the growth of mold and mildew. If you’re struggling with high humidity, there are a few things you can do to bring the levels down.
One simple way to reduce humidity is to open a window or two. This will allow air to circulate and help remove some of the moisture from the air. You can also use fans to help circulate the air and remove moisture. If you have an air conditioner, you can set it to run for a few hours each day to help remove moisture from the air.
Another way to reduce humidity is to use a dehumidifier. Dehumidifiers work by removing moisture from the air. They can be used in small or large spaces, and they’re especially helpful in basements or other areas where humidity levels tend to be high.
If you’re still struggling with high humidity levels, there are a few other things you can try. You can seal up any cracks or openings where moisture might be coming in. You can also invest in a humidistat, which will help you monitor the humidity levels in your home and make adjustments as needed. By taking some simple steps, you can keep the humidity levels in your home low and make your space more comfortable.
How to keep cold air drafts from hitting the door
There are a few things you can do to keep cold air drafts from hitting your door. One is to install weather stripping around the door. This will create a barrier between the outside air and the inside of your home.
Another option is to install a door sweep. This will also help to seal the gap between the door and the floor, keeping cold air from coming in.
Finally, you can simply keep your door closed when it’s cold outside. This will help to keep the warm air inside your home and the cold air outside where it belongs.
What is a door sweep?
A door sweep is a type of door seal that helps to prevent warm air from escaping through the bottom of a door.
Door sweeps are typically made of rubber or nylon and are installed on the inside of a door.
Most door sweeps have an adjustable screw that allows you to raise or lower the sweep in order to create a snug fit against the floor.
Caulk any gaps around the door
Caulk any gaps around the door to help prevent external air from entering the home. This will also help to reduce your energy bill!
Most people don’t realize how important weather stripping is to the overall comfort of their home. Weather stripping helps to seal off any gaps or cracks around doors and windows, which can let in drafts and cause your energy bills to skyrocket. In addition, weather stripping can also help to reduce noise pollution from outside.
So, if you’re looking for ways to improve the comfort of your home and save money on your energy bills, then installing weather stripping is a great place to start. Here are some tips on how to choose and install the right weatherstripping for your home:
1. Choose the right type of weatherstripping for your needs. There are many different types of weatherstripping available on the market, so it’s important to choose the right one for your needs. If you live in an area with extreme temperatures, then you’ll need to choose a weatherstripping that can withstand those conditions.
2. Measure the area where you’ll be installing the weatherstripping. This will ensure that you buy enough weatherstripping to cover the entire area.
3. Clean the surface where you’ll be installing the weatherstripping. Any dirt or debris on the surface will make it harder for the weatherstripping to adhere properly.
4. Install the weatherstripping according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Be sure to follow all of the instructions carefully to ensure a proper installation.
5. Test the weatherstripping by opening and closing the door or window several times. If there are any gaps or drafts, then you’ll need to adjust the weatherstripping accordingly.
Installing weather stripping is a relatively easy and inexpensive way to improve the comfort of your home and save money on your energy bills. By taking the time to choose and install the right weatherstripping, you can make your home more comfortable and efficient.
Keep the doors clean and waxed
Here are a few reasons why it’s important to keep your front door clean and waxed:
- It helps the door last longer.
- Waxing protects the door from dirt, dust, and moisture.
- It’s easy to do and only takes a few minutes!
So next time you’re cleaning your house, don’t forget about the front door. A little bit of elbow grease will go a long way in keeping it looking its best.
Inspect the doors regularly
Check for things that need fixed on your door.
Look for cracks, gaps, or other damage. Also, make sure the door is properly aligned and centered in the frame.
If you find any damage, repair it immediately to prevent further deterioration. Regular inspections and maintenance will help keep your doors looking and functioning their best.
Make repairs as needed
Making repairs and maintaining your door will allow you to have a great door that is energy efficient and operates well!
For more great tips, follow us at Window City Pros.